Total Pageviews

Monday, September 7, 2009

Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park














































Today Ben, Grace and I drove 7 miles south of Mandan to Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park. General Custer and his troops stayed in this spot before moving on to Little Big Horn. The Custer house and the troops quarters are still there. They also have a Visitor's Center, a reconstructed Indian Village, some lookout towers on the bluffs of the Missouri River, and an old cemetery with wooden gravestones (that have been replaced and repaired through the years). We had a lot of fun...Ben really enjoyed it. Grace threw a couple of bratty crying fits for relatively ridiculous reasons, but I think she liked it too. I even saw a guy with a Hawkeye hat on! We Hawks are everywhere :).














We also stopped at the Veteran's Cemetery, which is near the State Park. My Great-Uncle Noble Peterson (Grandpa Stewart's brother who passed away in the spring) and his wife Betty are buried there. Noble was a great fighter pilot in the Air Force in WWII. The cemetery is beautiful!

No comments: